Saturday, July 5, 2008

Head-on-collision



Thursday July 3, 2008 Linda talked me into a bike ride before work. We were going to ride down to Greenport and check out the preparations for the 4th. As usual I was cruising along at 12-15 MPH. I was about half way across a little bridge that narrows to one lane at the end because of a tree when a girl going about the same speed came around a blind curve and down a small hill. There was nothing that either of us could do it was like hitting a wall at 30 miles an hour. The girl yelled, after the collision I said, "are you alright" and she said "yes, watch my bike" and ran across the street yelling "daddy". Pretty soon she came back and said " my grandma said to ask you if you are alright." Standing there with a big cut on my knee, blood running out of my nose, a bruise on my chin, sore jaw, and hands shaking I said, "yes". She grabbed her bike and was gone. I had to disconnect my front brake in order for the wheel to spin without rubbing.

No comments: