Thursday, May 26, 2011

On the Way to Bar Harbor

May 22

We left home today around noon and arrived in Olney about 2:30. The big parking lot were we normally park in was full so we dropped the camper and headed for Dad's. We stopped by the cemetery on the way to see Mom's stone, its very nice, Mom would like it. We had dinner at the pizza buffet with Dad and Betty and then went to see Betty's place. We headed back to setup the camper about 8:30 but could not find any working water or electric luckily it cooled off a little with the rain so we had a couple of drinks and went to bed.



Camp Site in Olney City Park

May 23

When I opened the fridge this morning I noticed that it was not very cold so I checked the freezer and found the ice cream was pretty soft. When I unplugged the electric at home the fridge did not start on gas because the gas had been off and there was air in the line. I retried it a couple times this morning and it started so I hope it will get cold again soon. Dad stopped by on his way to coffee so see us off. We took off about 8:30 and headed up St. Marie Rd to I70. I was going by an elevator and saw their scale so I stopped and had them weigh me. Total weight was 24440 about 1000 over the CGVW rating and the trailer axles came in at 12980 a 1020 less than the total axle rating but don't know how it is distributed, I don't think I want to know. We stopped at a nice little campground in Butler, OH. It was along a little river that has brown trout and the locals pan for gold in it. They say a guy in the campground got over an oz last year. The ground was soaked and it rained during the night so we left some ruts when we left.

River Trail Crossing Butler, OH


There's gold in that there water
Nice bike trail close to the campground

May 24

Headed down the road today but could not decide if we should go across NY or PA. When we got to I80 the truck just turned automatically. We made it to campground in Scotrun, PA . They advertised that they had cable so Linda could see the Biggest Loser finally but when we got here the guy said you have to have the office set it up and they are closed. So we went to the rec hall and watched on the tv there. Just as it was ending I read the info they gave us which said that the local channels were provided for free and you needed to contact the office if you wanted the other cable channels. When we got back I connected and sure enough we could have watched in the trailer. Them workcampers don't know. Forgot to take any pictures today.


May 25

We headed out about 10:00 this morning and went north through the Delaware Water Gap Recreation area. It was a pretty drive an reminded me of the bluffs along the Illinois River. We stopped for fuel in NJ and I turned in to the station going the wrong way so I pulled through the island and was doing a sharp u-turn when we heard this loud clank and I could not go forward or backward. I got out and looked all around and could not find the source of the problem so I tried to move again still no luck. I said it's like the brakes are on. I looked and the cable to the emergency brake switch on the trailer had wrapped around the hitch and pulled out of the switch when I made the sharp turn, problem solved and we fueled up and were on our way. We stopped for lunch at the Welcome Center in CT. It is a beautiful picnic site but the welcome part is closed as was the rest area in MA where we stopped. The ME welcome center was open and we got there just in time to grab a few maps and brochures before they closed. Since we have time we decided to drive up US1 to avoid the tolls on I95. We saw Kennebunkport but did not see W. We are spending the night at one of my favorite campgrounds Wal Mart in Scarborough, ME. Our days travel took us into 6 States PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, and ME. We should be at our campground early tomorrow afternoon.

Welcome Center In CT

DON"T pee on the building in MA

We made it

Most campgrounds don't have sites this nice
Our First Maine Sunset




No comments: