Sunday, January 22, 2012

Q Here We Come

We left home for Arizona on Sunday Jan 22.  Our friends, Sonny and Linda, run the See's Holiday Gift Center in Prescott at Christmas time. Their store is also open for a couple of weeks around Valentines Day.  They decided not to manage it this year, so we volunteered to take over.


 
As you can see it was foggy and cloudy as we headed west through St. Louis.

We stayed on I44 to Joplin and then headed south on US 71 to I 540.  This is I 540 in Arkansas between Bentonville an Fayettville.

We spent the night at Winn RV park south of Fayettville $17 for a full hookup.  Of course we had to have our start-up water leak, I did not get the water filter under the sink tight when I replaced the cartridge.  I was outside when Linda yelled that yell that I know all to well.  After snugging up the filter, all is well. 
Day two heading across Oklahoma 
This water tower is leaning and has been for years 
Day two ended at the Cactus RV park in Tucumcari, NM
It is a place out of the 60's but it's only $15 a night for full hook-ups

I seems every time we head across NM we have cloudy weather.  We had planned to go across NM on I 40 and into Flagstaff and then south to Prescott to check out places to stay when we get there to open up the candy store. However, the weather forecast called for snow and rain in Gallup and Albuquerque so we decided to head south to Deming.
We always stopped at The Outpost in Carrizozo, NM for the best green chili burger we ever had.  But this year they were closed and for sale signs in the window.  So it was turkey sandwiches in the RV.

Between Alamagrodo and Las Cruces, the road passes right by the White Sands National Monument.  The dunes are ever changing and quite beautiful.


Pictures between Las Cruses and Deming

As soon as we pulled into the SKP park in Deming we unhitched and headed out to our favorite winery for a few tastes before closing time.  The same lady has been there serving wine since we first stopped there in 2008, and now she remembers us when we come in.  Following are pictures taken at the Adobe  Deli, the restaurant that she recommended that we try for dinner.  As you can see it was an interesting place in the middle of nowhere.   The food was good but not unforgettable.  







No comments: